Over the last decade or so, vinyl albums have become popular again. Sales are up across the industry, and more and more modern musicians are also releasing their new albums on vinyl. In one sense, this is great for the artists, because people have to purchase vinyl albums, whereas with digital music they can download it for free from any number of sites (albeit, illegally in most cases). It is also great for people who listen to music, because vinly albums sound great and provide something tangible for the music listening experience. As the industry has rebounded, the number of companies and shops that sell vinyl albums has increased greatly. Although this helps to drive down costs for consumers, because companies are competing for business and thus lowering prices, it also makes it difficult for them to know which company or shop to purchase from. To help make the process simpler for music lovers, here are the five things to look for in a company selling vinyl albums.
1. Experience. The first thing to look for in a company selling vinyl albums is experience in the industry. The more experience they have, the more knowledge they have about all things related to vinyl albums. They’ll be able to tell you which turntable to purchase, such as VPI turntables, and how to get the best sound of your system. They’ll know which records are going to be released soon, how you can get your hands on them, and more.
2. Pre-orders. Make sure the company you choose offers pre-orders. Often, when a band or musician releases their newest album, they will only have a certain number of vinyl albums available. To ensure that you are able to get your hands on your favorite musician’s latest album, you need to be able to pre-order it.
3. New releases. This is crucial. Some vinyl album stores only sell old records. Not only does this greatly limit the variety of albums they have available, but it also means you are going to be purchasing records that have already been used, which means they could have scratches or be damaged in other ways.
4. Variety. This probably goes without saying, but be sure to find a shop or company that has an incredible variety of records. The more variety they have, the more likely you are to come across a vinyl album that you simply can’t live without. Before determining which company to go with, browse through their selection. The more times you come across something and get excited, the better.
5. Cost. Finally, be sure to find a company that offers vinyl albums at a price you can afford. Some of the newer companies are charging incredible rates because they think they can get it. They know the industry is hot, so they want to maximize their profits. Stay away from companies like this.
SoundStage Direct, www.soundstagedirect.com, easily meets all five of the elements of a great vinyl albums store outlined above. Their variety, knowledge, and customer service make them an easy choice in the industry.